5 Things To Know About “Elysium” (Spoilers)
This post is a guest post by Glennia Campbell. Well, she put this up on her Facebook page and then I begged her to let me post it on my blog because I thought it was so straightforward and great. So, welcome to my first ever guest post. And read Glennia’s blog here.
Went to see Elysium last night. It’s like a sci-fi movie written by Occupy Wall Street. Income disparity, access to healthcare, data security, gun violence, stop & frisk…all covered.
Here’s what we learn about the future, according to Elysium (**spoiler alert**):
1. Rich people live in a giant hamster wheel in the sky, which looks a lot like Beverly Hills. Poor people live on earth, which has become a giant slum and are ruled by robots. Most of them long to live in the hamster wheel.
2. Of course, there are flying cars in the future, but no one is wearing Google glasses. Instead, they just upload data right into your brain. That way, you can’t lose them under the seat of your supersonic flying car.
3. Rich people have their own at-home medical device that looks like an MRI/tanning bed. It can be used to cure cancer or to make you look like an Asian supermodel. Poor people hoard bandages when they have leukemia.
4. Poor people have crudely-drawn, self-inflicted tattoos. Rich people have facial scars that are either delicate floral patterns or words like “I’m a Rich Dude” (in case you were confused).
5. Poor people are bilingual in English and Spanish. Rich people are bilingual in English and French and speak English with a Canadian accent. The only Asians in the future are Asian supermodels.
The best things about this movie were that it was short and Tom Cruise was not in it. Oh, and it was better than Prometheus, but I rank Sharknado higher than Prometheus, so don’t get too excited.
Note: I still want to see this movie but at least I won’t be so disappointed when I do. And I know not to drag my husband to see it.